Friday, March 30, 2012

PKU Recipes!!

For those of you who don't have PKU, have you ever wanted to try some recipes of low protein food that people with PKU eat all the time? For those of you who have PKU, have you ever wanted to share your favorite recipes? Have you wondered what others who have PKU like to eat? Periodically, I am going to start posting recipes. I am, also, interested in hearing your favorite recipes!! I want you to find some of your favorite recipes and email them to me! You can find my personal email at the end of this post.

This is an odd recipe that I found. I am willing to try it even though it sounds funny.

SPRITE POTATOES
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
Cook in big pot/skillet until onion is translucent and bacon is starting to crisp. -*STRAIN BACON MEAT- leaving only grease and onions in pot.
Then add:(I usually use my food processor to slice the potatoes and carrots)
5-6 potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (more or less depending on how much you want)
9-10 baby carrots sliced thin
Stir and season to taste with the following:
seasoned salt
onion salt
garlic salt
salt
pepper
Add:1-2 cans sprite, enough to just cover the potatoes.
Cover and bring to a boil, simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender and most of the liquid has reduced.
Cover generously with PKU cheese shreds and cook about 3-5 more minutes - or go without the cheese at all
*Sometimes we add a little more sprite to keep them from drying out before the potatoes and carrots are all the way done. We also leave a little liquid in the bottom when we put the cheese on so it's not to dry). 


Sounds interesting, huh? If you try it tell me what you think!

Until next time,
Phe

Follow on Facebook :  
http://www.facebook.com/TheDailyStrugglesOfPKU?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow on Twitter:
PHE_ThePKUGirl

Email at me:
lauragoode@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment