Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Is It Nap Time Yet?

You know that time of day, in the middle of the afternoon when you get sleepy. You think, "I could sure use a nap right now." What do you use to wake yourself up? Some people end up taking naps, others grab a cup of coffee or an energy drink, but someone with PKU grabs their formula.

A lot of people don't understand fully what PKU formula does for the body. Of course, it gives me ( and others with PKU) the daily vitamins and proteins that we need, but what does it help improve? Well, someone with PKU must depend on their formula as much as a caffine addict depends on their coffee.

Someone gets tired when they haven't had enough to eat, well it's because the body uses up all the protein that it has been supplied with. Someone like me, with PKU, can't have protein, so I get tired faster than someone without PKU. When I get really tired I should drink some formula to help my body get everything it needs to operate.

My husband, Chipper, actually noticed that I sleep a lot more than him. I am still tired even after a full night's rest, but that's because for the last few years I haven't had my formula to drink. Because my body didn't have the protein it needed to function, I would end up sleeping a lot. But soon that won't be a problem, since I am getting back on the diet I will have everything on hand that I need to fix that problem when it arises.


On another note, I have one of my favorite snack recipes from when I was little!!

Low Pro Snack Mix

A crunchy munchy "low" snack, very similar to standard "party Mix" in flavor.

1/2 cup(14 grams) Rice Chex Cereal

1/2 cup (14 grams) Corn Chex cereal

3 cups (108 grams) 3/8 inch Low Pro Croutons (recipe to follow soon)

1/3 cup Margarine or Butter

1 T. Worcestershire sauce

1/4 t. salt

1/2 t. chili powder

 

In a 13x9-inch baking pan, mix together cereal and croutons. Melt butter and mix with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and chili powder; pour over cereal and croutons and toss to coat. Spread in pan fairly evenly. Bake at 250 degree F for 45 minutes, stirring several times during baking.


Yield: 4 cups (260grams)


                 Phenylalanine (mg)    Protein (gm)   Calories

Per recipe              156              4.0           1060

Per 1/2 cup serving     20               0.5            132

 

 

 

Enjoy the recipe!!!!

Until next time,
Phe


P.S. Now is the time of year that the March For Dimes is happening!! Nationwide there are walks being coordinated to provide medical help to babies born premature!! Learn more and Donate Now!! 
http://www.marchforbabies.org/personal_page.asp?pp=4364044&ct=4&w=5545908&u=LauraRG




 Follow Me on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/TheDailyStrugglesOfPKU


Follow me on Twitter: Phe_ThePKUGirl


If you ever have any question you can email me! lauragoode@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment