Monday, December 12, 2011

Something Fast...

It's been a rough few months for my husband and me. We moved 165 miles away from where we were living with less than a weeks notice. My husband's job went south (they wanted us to move over 1000 miles away than where we were with 2 weeks notice or find a different job). So, we found a different job. With moving with such short notice we didn't have a place to stay. My grandparents generously offered their travel trailer for us to stay in until we found a place.

It's not so easy to cook in a travel trailer, as you can imagine. So, we have been improvising. We both work and have to take lunches to work. It only takes a little while to get sick of sandwiches. So we started buying frozen meals, like TV dinners. Have you ever looked to see how much protein is in some of those??? I never thought to look (that was dumb of me).

I started not to feel so good and I couldn't figure it out. I was going grocery shopping when I decided to look at the protein content in everything. Well, most of the things I was buying had about just as much protein as I thought... that was until I got into the frozen food section.

Marie Callender's
Smokey Cheddar Mac                                15grams
Stuffed Pasta Medley                                  21 grams
Fettuccine Alfredo with Garlic Bread           24 grams
Pasta Al Dente Rigatoni Marinara Classico  19 grams 




I mean it makes sense why there is so much protein. It is a MEAL! I guess I didn't think about it. There aren't many frozen meals that people with PKU can have (without meat). But I guess, there is no such thing as a "fast meal."

Until next time,
Phe

No comments:

Post a Comment