Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cheese Junkie

PKU is kind of like diabetes in the sense that not all cases are the same. I was blessed enough to have a very mild case. Many patients are only allowed to have 5 grams of protein a day. I am allowed a bit more than that. I don't have an exact amount that I am allowed (only because I haven't seen my nutritionist in a few years). When I was 16, I was allowed 16 to 18 grams a day.

One of my favorite foods is CHEESE. Even though I am only allotted a small portion a day, I love it. In fact a lot of my favorite foods have quite a bit of protein. Have you ever really looked at packaging labels and noticed the amounts of protein in things?

Dairy & Eggs
Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
Egg, large - 6 grams protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams

Meat
Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
Drumstick – 11 grams
Wing – 6 grams
Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein
Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams




As you can tell from the list above, every main dish has a large amount of protein (as one would expect). But who would think about protein in fruits and vegetables?

Vegetables
Alfalfa, sprouted, 1 cup raw- 1.32 grams
Artichoke, medium - 3.47 grams
Asparagus, 1/2 cup - 2.16 grams
Broccoli, 1/2 cup - 1.86 grams
Brussels Sprouts, 1 cup - 3.98 grams
Carrots, 1/2 cup -0.59 grams
Cauliflower, 1/2 cup - 1.14 grams
Corn, 1 ear yellow - 4.02 grams
Lima Beans, 1 cup large - 14.66 grams


Fruits
Apple, 1 medium - 0.47 grams
Avocado, 1 medium - 4.02 grams
Banana, 1 medium - 1.29 grams
Blackberries, 1 cup- 2 grams
Blueberries, 1 cup - 1.1 grams
Grapefruit, 1 cup - 1.45 grams
Grapes, 1 cup - 1.09 grams
Passion fruit, 1 cup - 5.19 grams
Peach, 1 medium - 1.36 grams
Pomegranate, 1 - 4.71 grams

You get the point, EVERYTHING has protein. I am very blessed to be able to choose from so many foods because of my mild case. You can see how someone with a severe case would have a very difficult time with their diet.

Because I can't have a lot of main dishes I make my meals out of side dishes. One can imagine how boring and repetitive that would get, that's why I am always looking for new recipes and ways to prepare the food I love and can have.

Until next time,
Phe

No comments:

Post a Comment