Saturday, October 29, 2011

Low Protein Diet

Some people say the Low Protein Diet, for people with PKU, is a life long diet. The doctors and nutritionists recommend it as a life long diet as well. But is it really that important?? What would happen if someone with PKU went off the diet??

As a child, I grew up thinking that every kid my age were lucky to not have to drink the protein formula that I did. I wasn't envious by any means, but I did look forward to the day that I didn't have to drink it everyday. I mentioned it to one of my nutritionists at one of my appointments, and that was when the speech started. "Diet For Life!!"

Well in the past few years, I have not listened as well as I should have. I hate to admit that I am wrong, but.... I am. I had no idea of the problem that it could cause! I started developing a rash on my arms and neck. It wasn't until recently that I found out that high protein levels can cause eczema.

I, also, found that if someone with PKU were to have been off the diet for awhile, they could experience some hair loss. Nothing extreme, but hair would still be falling out, more than the normal shedding. I haven't experienced this one, if I have I didn't notice.

Some people have a hard time controlling emotions. Something that would normally be annoying could make someone with PKU want to scream in anger. I have noticed some irregular emotions, but nothing close to screaming in anger.

I'm sure there are a lot of other things that are caused by a high level of protein in the blood stream, but this is all I know of at the time. I will keep looking and post if I find any others.

That being said, I have to agree with the doctors and nutritionists. DIET FOR LIFE

Until next time,
Phe

No comments:

Post a Comment